Cooking with Manuka Honey – Banana & Berry Muffins Recipe
Before you toss your ripe bananas, give this recipe a go. With a few healthy and importantly tasty ingredients, you will create the perfect snack – ideal for school lunches, breakfast, morning tea…well, any time really!
It’s the ideal fusion of Manuka honey, bananas, & berries….the Muffins are berry-licious!
Did you know?
Berries are a great source of fiber and natural sugars. Plus these little bundles have plenty of nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, manganese, and zinc.
Bananas also contain a number of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin B6 and magnesium.
With the benefits of Manuka honey, what a perfect marriage of these ingredients!
- 250 g (2 cups) plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cinnamon myrtle
- 2 ripe bananas
- 150 g (1 cup) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons manuka honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 185 ml (3/4 cup) milk*
- 1 large egg
- strawberries & cinnamon sugar, to garnish (optional)
- *You can use soy milk instead (they taste just as yummy)
- Instead of cinnamon, you can use Wattleseed for a pleasant flavour connected to hazelnut, walnut, chocolate and coffee.
- You can also use a rectangular loaf time (see left picture)
- General comment: I tend to use frozen berries when the berries aren’t in season, sometimes only blueberries, other times mixed berry pack.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, add sifted flour, baking powder, cinnamon with a pinch of salt – mix. Add mashed banana and berries and, using a fork, lightly mix the fruit into the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together manuka honey, oil, milk and egg, until all combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and lightly mix until combined (wooden spoon works well).
- Spoon muffin mix into greased muffin tin, and if using, sprinkle cinnamon sugar & halved strawberry.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Serve immediately or they taste just as yummy cold.
- You can drizzle a bit of extra manuka honey, if served immediately!